CommuteInfo vanpools are subsidized with federal funding. As such, ADA Reasonable Modifications are a requirement of this funding. Any individual that has a concern regarding reasonable modifications can contact Anthony Hickton – TDM Manager – Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission, directly by phone @ 412-391-5590 X375, or at email@example.com
What is a reasonable modification to a vanpool program? Agencies are required to make reasonable modifications to policies, practices, and procedures to avoid discrimination and ensure that their programs are accessible to individuals with disabilities.
Examples of reasonable modifications:
- A group has established a rule regarding not eating food or drinking beverages while commuting.
- A member of the pool has a medical need to ingest food/beverages due to a particular condition.
- The group allows for the alteration of the rule to accommodate the pool member.
- The pool group has set a rule that the pick-up window is a maximum of five minutes.
- A member of the group requires more than five minutes due to a disability.
- The group waves the rule in order to accommodate the pool member.
Examples of what a reasonable modification is not:
- Fundamental alteration of service.
- Direct threat to the health or safety of others.
- Not needed by the requester to use the service.